Monday, May 12, 2014

Green and Growing

Since riding is temporarily of the question for me*, Mr. M and I took a short drive Sunday to some nearby public hunting and fishing grounds, where we did a little exploring on foot.

The sky was grey with impending rain, but nearer ground level there were plenty of bright colours to be seen.

~ ~ ~

These upthrusting leaves remind me of shuttlecocks:


An old tree trunk is frilled with mushrooms:


On the ground under an oak tree lie remnants of autumn past...


...while the branches above are bursting into rosy life:


Wild grasses, still buff-coloured, are another reminder of autumn...


...but the trail is green under greening trees.



Old blossoms hover over new vine leaves:


Grey branches reach up to the grey sky:


More miracles of spring, rosy and green:



A field next to the trail is vividly emerald:


Sticky leaf buds glow like fairy lights on branch tips:


And all the evergreens are putting out new needles:


Like a fashion show ending with a wedding dress, our walk ends with a glimpse of woodland white. Near the end of the trail a serviceberry blooms, bridal and delicately lovely:


A good walk on a cloudy spring Sunday.

~ ~ ~

*Many thanks to all who expressed kind wishes for my recovery after I was hit by a car while riding last week. The pain is much better, though the bruises remain very tender and colourful, and I hope to get the stitches out in a few days. I've been struggling with fatigue, and sleeping much more than normal, but that is also improving slowly. The next big steps will be getting back on the bike, and dealing with the driver's insurance company. (Not sure which will be harder!)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

17 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you because I know from experience the most difficult part is what's to come. Best wishes as you navigate these stressful waters.

    What a wonderful walk you had, and to be able to do it with your husband is heavenly. Glad you had decent weather, too! Beautiful macro shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New green! Always so beautiful! Take it easy. Sleeping is your body's way of insuring time for healing. Glad you could enjoy your spring Sunday with your husband. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are (as always) beautiful.

    I'm glad you are starting to feel better. I'm sure that was quite a scare. Hopefully, you'll be back on your bike soon and the insurance will take care of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed your post so I didn't know about your accident until now, I'm so glad it wasn't too serious and that people were so helpful and kind.
    Beautiful photo's it's lovely to see everything springing into life, take care Sue I hope you make a speedy recovery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you had a lovely walk, Wisconsin was in rare beautiful form this past weekend. I loved the warm sunshine and the budding trees. Glad you are feeling better, the sleeping will get better, your body has been in a bit of shock don't you think?
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss the post about your accident??!!! I'm glad you are recovering--yikes! Super scary. Hope you were outside of the 'flood zones' from last night. We have some mud that collected, but so far, no hail damage or flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed the news of your accident. I'm sorry to hear about it and I hop you're recovering more every day. How scary. Everything around you is changing so quickly, I love seeing those brand-new tinges of green everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're healing and I'm sure that dealing with the insurance company will be a worse pain. Everyone I know who's had to do this has ended up hiring a lawyer to deal with it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad that you are healing. Remember that the fatigue is from your body healing, don't push at this point....listen and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with both getting on the bike and the insurance company - not easy, either of them. Just go with the sleeping and fatigue - your body must need it for recovery. take care, Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so very sorry you got hit! Ugh! Don't let it dissuade you from your love of cycling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so thankful you are feeling better and will keep you in my prayers. Bless your heart, that was so scary to have to go through all that. :)

    Love your photos...you always make my day when I get to see your lovely photos.

    ((hugs)) and blessings to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely walk, I especially like the needles all splaying out like a firework.

    So sorry to read about your bump, it must have been very scary, I'm glad your Dad prayed. I'm guessing your feeling tired as your body needs the time to heal, take it easy for a time, and know your family and friends are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous images of new growth. Be well my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! I didn't know about your accident! How terrifying. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Sue,
    Your Spring is finally coming along!
    I hope you are getting the rest that you need. In my last post Your body needs to recover, so please take care of yourself! LOL on dealing with insurance, don't let it stress you out! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry to hear of your accident and hope that your health improves very quickly.

    I enjoyed this post greatly, especially as you used the British way of spelling grey, it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....