Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Simple Pleasures: Nutmeg


I don't know who first picked up a nutmeg seed, smelled it and found it good, then added it to whatever was cooking on the fire. But I'm so glad they did.

I love nutmeg. Sweet and peppery, it's the perfect seasoning for quiche, berries, muffins and other fruity baked goods, carrots, squash, anything eggy or cheesy.... I'm sure I've left out many things, but you can fill in the blanks.


A dusting of fresh nutmeg will wake up a white cake batter, and give spinach pizza mysterious tang. It adds depth and warmth to rice pilaf, and pleasant complexity to poultry gravy.

And did I mention soup?

Potatoes, onions, broccoli, carrots. A bit of diced bacon
and a dollop of cream. Salt, pepper, nutmeg.
Top with grated Colby-Jack for extra enjoyment.

I think I'll go bake something.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

4 comments:

  1. Nutmeg: a Scandinavian staple second only to cardamom. Fill the blank in: Swedish meatballs.

    Cream, bacon, nutmeg in a soup? Do YOU ship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff but it make me have vivid dreams. Have you ever seen a nutmeg just out of the fruit, with the Mace still on it? It's a magical plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really love nutmeg, too, and this is truly the season for it. All things pumpkin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried to like nutmeg but it's my least favorite flavor. Whatever it is in it's all I can taste. Now cinnamon is a different story!! I put it in almost everything!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....